Friday, June 13, 2008

Weekly Photo Challenge: "Tawdry"

[Wow. The boys are off and running early this week!]

This week the theme for Glenn and Dave's Weekly Photo Challenge is "tawdry."

In Japan (and I suppose elsewhere) there are entire sub-cultures based on tawdriness. Here are a couple of random examples from my (near inexhaustible) files:


[Read about my adventure in Hell!]


[I've never been able to bring myself to write about the horrors of Tokyo Disneyland, which I've been to twice. I know, with the dread certainty of a man with a 5-year-old daughter, that I'll return there one day...]

Alice Cooper-Welcome to my Nightmare

7 comments:

  1. Oh my holy shit, you have got to have all the rest of us in the world beat - hands down!

    Nothing can come close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenn,
    It's a bit of an over-generalization, but the Japanese are very concerned about "appearances" and very impressed by "showiness." This leads to a lot of "tawdriness" (as I see it, anyway). I'd rather spend my money on (cheap) beer and CD's (I'm quite happy with my off-the-rack Levi's, any watch that keeps time is OK by me, and any car that starts in the morning is all I need, etc...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It hadn't even occurred to me that tawdry had more than one definition. I guess I've been living in New Orleans too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta admit, Disneyland + Japan = Tawdry. The horror! You poor, poor man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave,
    I think I could deal with New Orleans "tawdry." Hell, I think I could probably relate to it more.

    Evil,
    It's the pervading "cuteness" that wears you down. It's everywhere, every fucking where, I say!
    Oh, sorry. Hehe. I forget myself sometimes... ;-)
    Thanks for dropping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, Disney truly is the definition of tawdry. So why do I still love it so much? Oh yeah, I'm a wee tawdry myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bryan,
    A bit of tawdriness just makes one a more "balanced" person!

    ReplyDelete