Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice...

Today on the way home from work I decided to stop at a convenience store for a cold drink. As I was standing outside drinking my beverage I happened to glance inside the store. I noticed a little girl, about 6 or 7, in the candy aisle. When I looked more closely I realized that she was walking up and down the aisle stuffing handfuls of assorted candies into a small "Hello Kitty" bag she was carrying. She was stealing candy. Fascinated, I watched her for several seconds. As far as I could tell, I was the only one paying attention to her. At one point she looked out the window and saw me standing there watching her. She stopped what she was doing, smiled at me, bowed deeply, and mouthed "konnichiwa" to me. Then she continued about her business. Not being the type to rat out little girls stealing candy, I went about my own business. I got into my car, and as I was backing out of the parking lot the girl came out of the store. She smiled at me again, waved, and then, running, disappeared around the corner of the store. Enchanted, I drove home.

...that's what little girls are made of.

10 comments:

  1. Stealing candy will define which side of the road you will walk on the rest of your life. When I was a kid, I stole 3 sugar sticks, and felt so guilty that next day I stopped by to leave money on the counter. Later I found out I had paid 3 times the regular price. I don't indulge thieves, but I believe it's part of learning.
    Charming kids, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most splendid story I have ever heard. Oh my goodness. It seems so cinematic, so brilliant.

    So, um, uh . . . what does "konnichiwa" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usual Stuff, what surprised me was her almost "professional" attitude. Petty theft is quite easy to get away with here if one is so inclined. This act was very rare in my experience here...

    GT, Thanks. Funny thing is, it happened just like I described it, and yeah, it seemed like a movie scene to me, too.
    BTW, "konnichiwa" means "good day" or "hello" (sorry, I thought thar was the one Japanese word everyone knew!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you say "pre-pubescent Bonnie Parker" in Japanese?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenn, in my house we say "Kaede" (my daughter's name)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Then I can't help but wonder how kids get to grown up on the 'straight' path. Do they take courses or what.
    I know how to say 'konichiwa', 'kombawa', 'kudazae', 'arigato','doi ta shi mashti', 'watashi wa monika-de' (that's my name, ejem) and my favorite: 'nijongo wakarimasen', which I was told means "I don't speak Japanese". Was my pronunciation correct? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usual Stuff,
    konbanwa
    kudasai
    do itashimashita
    Monika desu
    nihongo (get that Spanish "j" out of there!!)
    Private lessons are about $50 p/hour, so I figure you owe me about 25 cents. Please make cheques payable to "Kyklops"...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, well. It was the phonetic reading what I intended to compose.
    Currently, my bank account balance reads 0.00. Can I pay you with blog publicity? I can recommend your blog to at least 4 acquaintances.
    Deal? =D

    ReplyDelete