Saturday, April 14, 2007

Right Place, Wrong Time

If you're as into music as I am, you'll recognize the title of this post. "Right Place, Wrong Time" is a truly classic three minutes of rock 'n' roll by Dr. John (aka Mac Rebbenack), who's really known less for his rock stuff than for his blues and "boogie woogie" stuff. Dr. John hails from the great city of New Orleans. Music is only one of the things New Orleans is famous for, but you may be familiar with the term "Cajun" music. "Cajun"...

I've mentioned on several occasions that I'm from Halifax, Nova Scotia. There used to be a bunch of people of French descent living in Nova Scotia. They were known as Acadians (not to be confused with the Akkadians of the ancient Middle East). Anyway, a couple (or a few, I'm doing this by memory!) hundred years ago, the British kicked the Acadians out of Nova Scotia. Although pockets of the original Acadians still remain in Nova Scotia, the loss was irreparable (the loss in hockey talent alone was staggering!). The point is, "Acadian"... "Cajun"... Get it? Yeah, all those Acadians went down to New Orleans, where they started their own culture and all kinds of cool shit in the context of "America". Too bad for Canada, really. Another British fuck-up in the New World.

My father's father was a descendant of the original Acadians. He died young, so I never had the privelege of meeting him. "Nova Scotia" means "New Scotland". I've never been to Scotland, but I can tell you in all honesty that when I hear bagpipes my chest puffs up involuntarily. By the same token, when I hear "cajun" or other New Orleans music, I'm similarly affected. I've never been to New Orleans.

By a strange coincidence, the last time I went home to Nova Scotia was early September, 2005. There was a huge (I mean, fucking huge!) typhoon that passed through Miyazaki on the day I was to go home. I was delayed one day by this typhoon. It was only a few days earlier, of course, that Katrina had hit New Orleans. The people of New Orleans, unfortunately, have been delayed a couple of years (or worse).

So, you may be wondering, is there a point to this post? Yeah, there's a fucking point. One of the great cities of the world is dying. Yes, in 2007, a great American city is dying. New Orleans is dying. Maybe you were aware of this, maybe you weren't. If you think I'm bullshitting, then read my friend Glenn's blog for a few days. Read what is coming out of New Orleans.

You won't like what you see...

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog link; I love (loved?) that city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your analysis on the migration of these particular people is great, and written with humor.
    You're right my dear. It's unbelievable U.S. government's response to this disaster was feebler and less effective than those of Mexican government.
    Have you ever tried cajun food?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to New Orleans either, but of course knew enough about the city to have wanted to go for some time.

    People in the States seem to only talk about New Orleans during Mardi Gras, which I always thought to be a shame. I always wanted to go when I could enjoy sneaking off the beaten path. The houses, the history, the freakin' jazz. I don't think that can be done anymore. A great city has died and it surely didn't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a little on the collapse of New Orleans and it seems strange that

    (a) any government would consider this a good idea (and it does seem to be deliberate government policy), and

    (b) that a nation would sit back and let it happen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emarie, you're welcome!

    Usual Stuff, there used to be a cajun restaurant in Halifax. I like the cuisine very much!

    GT, I'd hate to write NO off just yet, but if it really dies it will be a great and sad loss.

    Mr. Angry, I agree that it certainly seems that the US government has decided to let NO rot. It's also strange that there doesn't seem to be more of an outcry.
    I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with some idiotic, Christian Right notion of Sodom and Gomorrah, or some such foolishness...

    ReplyDelete