Friday, April 27, 2007

Rock Albums You Should Hear...

... if you haven't already... As usual, actual date of release is irrelevant...

Nick Cave: Abattoir Blues
This album is a couple of years old, but for die hard rockers (and normal folk all over the world) it's easily Nick Cave's most accessible album. And it's fuckin' good. It's a rock album. By Nick Cave. He's got, like, a black fucking choir singing backup on the whole album. It's sublime...
So if you got a trumpet, get on your feet,
brother, and blow it
If you've got a field, that don't yield,
well get up now and hoe it
I look at you and you look at me and
deep in our hearts, babe, we know it
That you weren't much of a muse,
but then I weren't much of a poet
I will be your slave
I will peel you grapes
Up on your pedestal
With your ivory and apes
With your book of ideas
With your alchemy
O Come on
Send that stuff on down to me...
(from "There She Goes, My Beautiful World)

Detroit Cobras: Tied and True
Brand new album by a really soulful garage band. Don't know what I'm talking about? Imagine Dusty fronting Ted Nugent... (Um, well, almost.) Seriously, this is very good stuff...

Burning Brides: Leave No Ashes
My current favorite band. If that's not enough of a recommendation, then fuck off...
Toilet paper, baby, when you cry,
'Cause your so full of shit it's comin' out your eye

So many albums, so little time...

6 comments:

  1. Kyklops -- A little behind on my reading as of late but oh my, three posts in one day????

    Love the music reccommendations. I don't know the Detroit Cobras but if it is from Detroit, that is a good sign (usually).

    The bee thing was hilarious. Very . . . alarming!!!

    And I really love the shot of your daughter on the beach. It is a perfect shot, with that much sand and water around her. Zooming in would have detracted from this shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi GT, actually when you don't write much (like me), three posts in a day is pretty easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So why is it that all your music posts wind up having a defensive use of the work "fuck?" I seem to recall one regarding the ümlauts, or Neko Case or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maht, actually the answer to your question dovetails nicely with my comment to GT (about my not writing much).
    In fact I would hope that no one just accepted that something was good on my say-so alone. Being a lazy SOB, however, I'm not always willing or interested in actually explaining why I think this or that is good, sometimes I feel this or that speaks for itself, and sometimes I expect the reader to put a bit of effort into things.
    I'm well-aware that I may be off-putting to some folks out there, but really, I have many more important things to worry about. And I hate it, I'm bored to tears, when everyone agrees...

    Thanks, by the way, for being the first person to call "bullshit" on me (really!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyklops: Well, it turns out that you used "fuck" for both Neko and umlauts. I wasn't being critical, I just found it strange, as you're normally a little less likely to "drop the F-bomb." I am not put-off by this. I thought you were going to say it had something to do with being a drummer.

    By the way, next time I see Neko, I'm gonna tell her to change her name to Neklops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maht, in truth I am a foul-mouthed bastard. Over the years I've tried to reign in this tendency of mine to reduce everything to a series of expletives (I've posted about this here).

    Generally on this blog I've (recently, at least) tried to use the f-bomb only when I'm dead serious, or when I'm not serious at all (I wouldn't seriously tell readers who didn't like the same music as me to "fuck off"). If my intent is unclear, then of course that's a failure of my writing.

    ReplyDelete