Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Morning Walk in the Graveyard

As a part of my ongoing struggle with the evil of tobacco, I usually wake up at around six every morning, have a coffee, and go for a 30-minute walk. This morning I took my camera along and wandered from my usual route into a nearby graveyard...

The top part of some kind of shrine or temple.


Entering the graveyard. If it seems a bit packed, it's because the Japanese usually cremate the dead (probably, in part, to save space).


Another view of the graveyard and its surroundings.


I hadn't noticed before, but this graveyard has a small Christian section. There are not many Christians in Miyazaki (or Japan), but they are an apparently feisty bunch. "Resurgent!" Almost qualifies for it's own sub-category of "engrish".


Another view of the "Christian section". You can see my condo in the background on the left.


[NOTE: The first term of university started last week, and I've started taking Japanese lessons, so I've been quite busy lately. As a result, I've been slow in responding to comments, and I've been a bit slack about visiting my friends' blogs. Sorry about that! I promise I'll be by soon...]

3 comments:

  1. Graveyards in most cities are some of the most peaceful and beautiful places you can visit. I wouldn't recommend my city's graveyards,tough, since you can see the rats running from grave to grave and the undertakers sacking old graves in order to resell the spaces. Lovely, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess cremation is one way to cut down on grave-robbing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait until you see this movie "To die on a Sunday" (Morir en Domingo). Not even the still-warm corpses are free from predation. Fortunately, all my arrangements are set, so I don't have to worry about dying tomorrow. Nice, ain't it? Tee-hee.

    ReplyDelete