So my blogging buddy Absolute Vanilla (or, rather, her avian masters) have tagged the entire internet with this 4 x 4 x Far meme. (Why in the fuck, in this day and age, does the word "meme" fail the spell-check? C'mon, geeks, get it to-fuckin-gether!) Anyway, since I don't have to tag anybody, I thought I'd give it a go. And it goes something like this:
Four jobs I've held:
1. I once had a job working on a Canadian submarine (yeah, yeah, laugh it up) that was in dry dock. We were supposed to sweep up and stuff after the tradesmen (welders, etc.) were through. I worked there for three days. The first two were spent sleeping and smoking cigarettes in the sub's fuel tanks. On the third day I swept the same small pile of dirt three feet forward and three feet back for eight of the longest hours of my existence on this earth. I never went back for the fourth day (not even to collect my pay). To this very day I don't think I can say that I've recovered from the experience. (Astute readers have probably noticed the lingering effects here on this very blog--sweep it this way, sweep it that...)
2. The best job I ever had was as a rock drummer. Only an acute sense of modesty prevents me from bragging about how many chicks I nailed in what was definitely the ten most glorious ten years of my life.
3. I was once the assistant manager of a record store in my home town. Mmm... promo albums... I never paid for tunes then...
4. As a university student I racked up a few years flipping burgers and slinging beers. Now that I think about it, I've spent a good chunk of my life in bars. I've never been in a bar and felt uncomfortable (unless some woman was throwing a drink in my face, or something...).
Four movies I've watched over and over again:
1. Terminator 2: Not my favorite, actually, but if it's on I'll never change the channel.
2. Reservoir Dogs: A fuckin' Greek tragedy. Bonus points for the analysis of "Like a Virgin."
3. V is for Vendetta: Recent movie with an eternal theme: "fuck the man!"
4. Dr. Strangelove: In my humble opinion, the most cynical, topical, the funniest, most completely fucked up mind-blowing movie of all-time. Incredible.
Four places I've been:
1. Downtown Manila.
2. Downtown Seoul.
3. Downtown Tokyo.
4. Downtown Halifax (still my fave!)
Four places I've lived:
1. Downtown Halifax.
2. Germany: my Dad was in the Canadian army (yeah, yeah, laugh it up) and I lived there on a Canadian army base for three years ('60-'63, I think).
3. North River, Nova Scotia: I had to do a lot of hitch-hiking as a youngster, just to get someplace that sold Playboy or Penthouse...
4. I lived in a brown paper bag in a septic tank--heh, no, that's Monty Python! Did I mention downtown Halifax?
Four TV shows I watch:
1. Battlestar Galactica
4. Star Trek
(I don't watch a lot of TV.)
Four radio shows I listen to:
I don't think there are four radio stations in Japan...
Four things I look forward to:
1. My daughter greeting me when I come home from work.
2. Friday night beer and blogging.
3. Nights out drinking where I don't have to work the next day.
4. Playing drums.
Four places I'd rather be:
1. Downtown Halifax.
2. Behind a drum kit.
3. On top of... oops, can't say that! Hahaha! [What dear? Oh, nothing!]
4. Sitting at a bar.
Four people I e-mail regularly:
1. My mom.
2. My sisters.
3. My best friend.
4. Aoi Sora.