Wednesday, February 04, 2009

At the Art Museum

This past Sunday I went with my family to the Miyazaki Prefectural Art Museum. There was a big exhibition of young, local artists from all over the city. It must have been quite a thrill for these young artists to have their work displayed on the same walls where frequently hang the works of Monet, van Gogh, Picasso, and the like.

As (I believe) with most museums, the taking of photographs is generally frowned upon. I had to surreptitiously snap the ones below with my cell phone, so I apologize for the poor quality. You can click any of the photos to get a larger view.

As the images below make clear, young Japanese artists have many artistic influences, and follow many of the great artistic "schools." It's quite common for most of these young artists to work together in one large room while honing their craft. Not being especially artistically inclined myself, and having no formal training in the fine arts or art history, it's beyond me to pinpoint the specific influences of each of the artistic groupings you see below. Perhaps you, gentle readers, can help me?








Here's one of the young artists hamming it up for the camera:


And here's a sampling of her work:

Eating Sweet Potatoes after Digging Them Up
and Roasting Them over an Open Fire

Apparently one of the young artists (I think his name was Escher...) was so highly regarded that they put a number of his works in their own room just down the hall.


Maybe next week we'll go check out this Escher fellow...

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful walls, and K.can really fill a surface...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    Heh, yes she certainly can "fill a surface"--desk/table tops, my printer paper, any piece of paper that happens to be unattended to...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete