Thursday, July 13, 2006

Thursday Night Japan Video Blogging

Ok, so I'm going to try to make this a regular thing, so long as I have time and can find half-way interesting videos (in the future I hope to make a few of my own). Here goes this week's entry...

It's perhaps not very common knowledge, but Japan has one of the most powerful and best equipped militaries in the world. In fact, in terms of conventional force, they are a match for damn near any country one might care to mention. The numbers vary from source to source, but Japan is generally recognized to be in the top 5 in terms of military spending (PDF file). So why am I wasting your time with this? Well, to introduce the first video, of course! Looks like some kind of promo used to suck young men and women into joining the forces. Starts out a bit slow, but later on they start blowing things up...




Summertime is typhoon season in Japan, and heavy rains frequently cause landslides. I've never experienced a landslide, and if the video below is any indication of what they can do, I don't want to anytime soon. This is worth watching...




This one pretty much sums up life in Japan...

3 comments:

  1. Salamaat,
    that second video is hilarious!!! reminds me of the mini vans publically transporting people in mombasa; except they never bothered to close the doors and drove at lightning speed to the near death and horror of all:p

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funny/annoying part is, just about every aspect of public life here is like that train. 'Cram them in until it's ready to burst'. I went to Tokyo Disneyland with my family in the spring. Everyone else seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. I was thinking the whole time, "I'm going to kill the next person who bumps/pushes/shoves/touches/or even looks at me funny..." Small town Canadians are not built for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in a crowded bus in Moscow at rush hour, sardine can as always. I couldn't move or anything and had to look at the same spot on the ceiling, where there was a pair of muddy footprints.
    That armed forces one is effective. More explosions and less cameraderie and be-all-you- can-be-nonsense. I am all I can be. But I want to blow things up too.

    ReplyDelete