Monday, July 10, 2006

Deja Vu All Over Again...

Well, I guess this is how it begins. Japanese government officials are discussing ways to better defend the country, including setting up the legal framework to allow Tokyo to launch a pre-emptive strike against North Korean missile sites.
"If we accept that there is no other option to prevent an attack ... there is the view that attacking the launch base of the guided missiles is within the constitutional right of self-defense. We need to deepen discussion," Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe said.

Now, anyone who reads this blog knows that I'm no fan of North Korea. Nor am I especially fond of Japan's weak-in-the-knees constitution. I don't, however, believe that the Japanese government should be seriously considering making an end run around Article 9 with a pre-emptive attack on their minds. If the Japanese people want to change their constitution through a legal referendum (to my knowledge the only constitutionally legal method), that's one thing. It's quite another for the government to embark on a path of 'creative interpretation' and by-pass the people altogether.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but it seems as if people are a tad over-excited about N. Korea.
    'Creative interpretation', h'm. That always means much different from the original, like 'Hamlet, Prince of Vulcan'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salamaat K,
    do you use this blog or the wordpress one more? I just want to know where i should leave my rambling thoughts at.

    why are we so intent on blowing each other off the map; i can never understand...there's lots of earth for all of us...

    sigh...i keep dreaming of holding hands and singing kumbaya...i think i need to take that peace train going to nowhere station for now:p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pierre, it's not as frenzied here as reports might indicate. The tough talk is more of a posture (on all sides) than anything. The worry, of course, is that tough talk sometimes escalates into action (and NK's actions cannot be called anything other than pure provocation).

    Hi Maliha, I don't think anyone's going to be blown up over here quite yet, but we can't be too careful! Like Jack Nicholson's character said in Mars Invades, "Can't we all just get along?"
    About the wordpress blog: I started it because I wanted to compare it to Blogger (the interface, etc.), and now I think I like Blogger better (just 'cause I'm an old fart and I've gotten used to it!). I probably could get more views using the wordpress one, but that's not really an issue for me (I'm more interested in developing a few close friendhips than many acquaintances). I'm probably going to delete the wordpress blog soon.
    I notice that you've linked to me from your blog. Thanks!! Could you do me a favor and re-direct that link over here to blogspot? Thanks again! I'll seeya soon over at your place or over here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And at the same time the Japanese PM is in memphis doing Elvis karaoke with Bush. Could it be that the whole government is going off the rails?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salaamat,
    Redirected now.

    That's why i wanted to clarify too..

    Mr Angry you didn't know that all our leaders are unfortunately really nut cases?

    ReplyDelete