Friday, June 12, 2009

Still Lucky

So I decided to go out and get those beers I was talking about in the previous post. Really, it only took me about 20 minutes, but it was time well spent (least not for the fact that I got more beer).

Wandering from one's hotel after midnight in a foreign country is always an adventure (note: Canada/USA excursions only count in very special circumstances--ones that I've never personally experienced and therefore doubt the existence of...). I wasn't 30 seconds from my hotel when I observed some police (or so I assumed) giving some whistles of appreciation to a young woman walking down the street just in front of me. It was a bit surprising to me that, what had been a hive of activity a few hours earlier was now pretty much a dark and deserted place. The police didn't do anything but whistle from across the street.

Not much else happened on my way to the 7/11. Inside the shop I picked up some beer and potato chips and placed them on the counter. The young woman working the cash rang in my purchases and then pointed to some sort of snack food on display on the counter. "Buy 2 of these and get 1 free [something]," I gathered from the signage and her talking. Feeling generous in that half-drunk kind of way, and knowing that it wasn't really going to cost much, I said "OK!" I pay for my purchases, and the young woman puts them in a bag. She passes me the bag and then beckons me to follow her. "Ah," I think to myself. "I'm going to get my 'free' stuff." She walks out from behind the counter over to a soft drink fountain. She gestures, asking me what soft drink I prefer. I've got a sack of beer in hand, so soft drinks are not really on my agenda. She's nice, though, and I don't want to seem rude or ungrateful. I scan the selection and say, "how about a 7-Up?" She seems pleased by my selection, and proceeds to pour me my drink, put a cover on it, and place a straw into the top. She hands me the drink. I thank her, and I'm off.

Now I'm walking down the street, sack of beer and snacks in one hand, and cup of 7-Up in the other. I hate to waste a free drink, so I'm taking the occasional sip. All of the other shops are closed and there's only darkness in the doorways as I walk. It's like this for a couple of minutes--darkened doorways, windows, darkened doorways, windows, darkened doorways, windows...

Then I see a pair of feet. The feet begin to step out from the darkness and I begin to see a pair of long-looking, dark legs. As the legs come out from the darkness I also see a white skirt.

I'm still walking. It only took a few seconds.

As the legs and skirt emerged from the darkness, so did a hand. The hand slid down the right leg and then hiked up the skirt. A voice said, "hey, baby."

I'd already walked past...

4 comments:

  1. Funny the sense of luxury these random fragments from a life one isn't living give one (if I have followed your line of thinking correctly).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    If by "a life one isn't living" you understood that I didn't heed the Siren's call (so to speak), then yes, I think you've nailed it. A sturdy mast, and some strong rope...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and being half drunk helped.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AV,
    You mean as in "three sheets to the wind..."?

    ReplyDelete