Thursday, June 11, 2009

Johor Bahru: The View from My (Dirty) Hotel Room Window

I can tell already that the next few days are going to be different from my brief experience in Singapore. A couple of minutes walk in any direction from the hotel takes me to another world. The faces of the people, the clothes they wear, the sights, sounds, and smells... Wow.

It's hot and humid here. That, coupled with the food I've been eating (very spicy!), gets me to working up a serious sweat. It doesn't feel bad at all, although I'm glad I brought a few changes of clothes. Had dinner this evening in a dumpy little Indian restaurant. The guy serving us had just enough English to be helpful (and he was also quite friendly). Since there was no way we could have ordered from the menu, he just gave us plates and invited us to go behind the counter and help ourselves to whatever looked good to us. It was all good.

I think, now, I'm really in Asia.

More later... (Cell phone pic.)

1 comment:

  1. More happy and challenging trips to come! Thanks for sharing your photos and insights about the places you visit. This site might interest some of your Japanese friends.

    ReplyDelete