Monday, August 14, 2006

These are a few of the things I like about...

... living in Miyazaki, Japan.
I like that I don't have to worry about some idiot stealing anything I don't nail to the wall or keep under 24-hour surveillance. A bicycle is safe with a simple wheel lock; my wife can go to the washroom and leave her purse on the table (which I still discourage); I have forgotten my camera somewhere and gone back to find it was still there.
I like that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a pack of smokes and/or a beer.
I like that, in eight years here, I have never heard one negative racial comment directed my way (well, except for being mistaken for American...heh!); my half-euro/Japanese daughter is accepted and treated like the future queen of Japan.
I like that I don't have to argue with anyone about Quebec.
I like that I don't have to argue with anyone about religion (Japan is a good place for atheists, although skeptics (like me) may have a harder time--there will be a more serious post about this in the future...).
I like (and I might as well be honest about it) that the simple fact that I'm an educated English-speaking person has allowed me to get good jobs here.
I like that I have a great wife and a beautiful daughter; I like that they have made me (I think) a better man.
Japan has been good to me...

3 comments:

  1. All good my man. It's nice to be able to sit back and feel that good about life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, Mr. Angry! I also feel it's necessary to say some good things about Japan from time to time. I mean, with all the seemingly negative stuff I write and the jokes I poke, I might start looking like an idiot for staying here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salamaat,
    awww that's so precious:)

    gave me warm fuzzy feelings just reading that:)

    darn it, now i gotta come up with some positive things about why I am in the US...you know that's a much harder challenge!!!

    PS: being mistaken for an american; i pity thee:)

    ReplyDelete