Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Background Music Makes My Ears Bleed

I came across a very interesting article over at collision detection about how "loudness wars" are killing today's music. It's a bit technical, but not so much so that a science dimwit like me couldn't catch the drift of it (there are links to more a technical argument from which this article was drawn). Basically it explains something that older music listeners like yours truly have been noticing for years now: older albums, particularly on vinyl, have a much broader dynamic range than music recorded in the last 10 years or so. Newer music just doesn't seem to have the peaks and valleys, the dynamic highs and lows of the old albums we love and cherish. Newer music does, however, seem more intense, and is more apt to grab your attention more quickly, mainly because compression has made it louder. But now an apparent paradox comes into play. Sure, the music is louder and more immediately noticeable, but because it doesn't have much in the way of dynamic range, it's not actively listened to and effectively becomes background music.
I've likely botched this, so please check out the article for yourself.

And, speaking of music that's loved and cherished, please enjoy "Supernaut" by Black Sabbath, accompanied by scenes from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Although I don't remember the source, it has been scientificaly proven that modern music tends to drive people into basic emotions due to the frequencies handled. It has become "tantamic" music, which means it is only noise that excites certain parts of the brain into violent emotions. I must say that not all the music is like that, but the new trends, such as the loathed "raggeaton" is intended to scarr our brains into stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another reason for the lack of dynamic range is the acknowledgment that a lot of music will be listened to as comparatively low quality digital files. Production values are increasingly geared to this medium.

    Early tin pan alley records did a similar thing - they were recorded with a really tinny sound because it sounded better on the radios of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, Usual Stuff, there are definitely some types of music that affect me strangely.

    Mr. Angry, that's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of.

    I love my
    I love my
    I love my mp3...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you are able to access some Mexican newsmedia. There's a rap song asking people to revolt against Mexico City's government 'cause they expropriated some real estate in a conflictive neighborhood! The drums of war are beating! (And they wonder why rap is so despised)

    ReplyDelete