Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Day at the Zoo, Part 1

Miyazaki has a small zoo, the Phoenix Zoo, and I spent today there with my family. Yes, that means I'm going to bore you some more with some pictures. These ones are mostly head shots of a few of the animals we saw at the zoo today.

I suppose different people might have different views, but when I see some of the "higher" species at a zoo (or more generally in any kind of cage) it makes me wonder if it's really such a good idea. This chimpanzee looks to me like he'd, on the whole, "rather be in Philadelphia..."


One of a pair of young elephants recently acquired by the zoo. They make them work, having trained them to do different tricks during regular-scheduled "shows".


I don't know what it is about giraffes, but I quite enjoy looking at them...


Pelican in profile.


This camel doesn't seem to mind life in the zoo too much...

5 comments:

  1. I wasn't bored at all :) The pictures are great, and that you quoted a W.C. Fields line is even better :) Thank you.

    Ya Haqq!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irving,
    Thanks for dropping by and commenting. I'm glad you liked the pics, and I'm glad I'm not the only who knows W.C. Fields!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kyklops,
    those elephants look beat up! What are they doing to them? And is that camel smiling? nice photos man, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maliha,
    I don't think the elephants are treated especially cruelly, but I think, as a "main draw", they are kept pretty busy (performing, etc.). Yeah, the camel looks like he's smiling, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a smile on that camels face !

    ReplyDelete