Saturday, July 25, 2009

I Heart Black Sabbath

I harbor a secret fantasy in which I'm paid large sums of money to expound upon the genius of Black Sabbath. Unfortunately for me, that ain't never gonna happen. Luckily, though, there's this interweb thing and blogs and stuff. I can sit here drinking shochu and expound upon Black Sabbath until the cows come home. It doesn't pay much, but damn if it ain't like the real thing! And really, it begs the question, doesn't it? Why can't we all have fun and make friends blogging about Black Sabbath? After we stop nodding our heads and staring blankly into space... (Whoa, I gotta tell ya, blogging about Black Sabbath while you're actually listening to them is harder than it sounds. It's difficult, too.)

Anyway, I remember my own rollercoaster ride regarding listening to Black Sabbath. First, I hated them, because I didn't like heavy music so much when I was 13. By the time I was 15, though, I loved them because I really loved heavy music then. Later, though, I didn't like them so much, because most of my friends were listening to really cool bands like Chicago and The Doobie Brothers. At the time I liked these bands, too. And really, who would deny the lasting impact of these musical giants?

There was a brief period in the mid-80s when I liked Black Sabbath again, but I'll be damned if I can remember why...

I guess it was around the early 90s when, working in the kitchen of a bar in Halifax, I discovered that Black Sabbath was cool again. I mean, everyone was copying them, and even bands that pretended they weren't really were! Ha ha! Who was cool now!? I was! I knew all about Black Sabbath. Fuck, was I ever cool then....

Below is an incredible video of Sabbath performing "War Pigs." It's brutal. Bill and Tony in particular are smokin'. It's 1970, and this performance vaporizes anything that comes later, by any band.



Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment