Wednesday, January 21, 2009

From the Land of "Resonating Cigars"

More wingnuttery this week from the culture warriors over at Big Hollywood. Check it out: Lt. Starbuck … Lost In Castration, by none other than Dirk Benedict (the original "Starbuck" himself!). (It's kinda funny, really. This article was actually published at Benedict's own website at least a couple of years ago. He's had a whine on for a while, I guess...)

Anyway, witness:
[...] a television show based on hope, spiritual faith and family is un-imagined and regurgitated as a show of despair, sexual violence and family dysfunction.
And here I thought the original show was based on milking as much from the success of Star Wars as it could get away with (or not)...
One thing is certain. In the new un-imagined, re-imagined world of “Battlestar Galactica” everything is female driven [...] the female characters are decisive, bold, angry as hell, puffing cigars (gasp!) and not about to take it any more.
Benedict has a good point here, although I'm somewhat surprised that he'd bring it up. Nobody today would dispute the fact that the new Starbuck's got a much bigger set of balls than the old one...
Starbuck would become “Stardoe." [...] I'm not sure if a cigar in the mouth of Stardoe resonates in the same way it did in the mouth of Starbuck. Perhaps. Perhaps it “resonates” more. Perhaps that’s the point. I’m not sure. What I am sure of is this...

Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars.
What the fuck? Resonating cigars? Venus and Mars? Whoa, dude! Seriously, is he talking about "just a cigar"? If so, then who gives a shit? And if he's talking about a "Freudian cigar," well, it seems that I'm a lot more certain than Dirk is about who can light mine...

There's more, of course. There's always more. But I'd better stop now. All this Freudian stuff has got me rhyming "Venus and Mars" in my head with "penis and arse." Say, you don't suppose...

2 comments: