Friday, January 23, 2009

Cavalcade of Rock: Chicks!

Just having a bit of fun tonight, checking out vids/tunes at YouTube. Although I'm pretty familiar with the music below, tonight is the first time I've seen any of these videos...

I probably should have put this Patti Smith clip last because, frankly, I don't know how anything could possibly follow this incredible performance. Proof, if any was needed, that yeah, chicks can fucking rock. Proof also that rock is a natural medium for poets... Well, good ones, anyway...



"Cannonball"! Heard this Breeders tune at many a party back in the day...



I just noticed that, in the preceding and following videos, the only guy (so far as I can see) in the band is the drummer. Damn, how come I never had any gigs like that? Why has life been so damned... unfair? (Look, I'm not a pig, or anything, but if you knew how many cramped bars I've played in with the (male) lead singer's butt practically in my face, well, maybe you'd understand...)
Anyway, here's Throwing Muses...



Liz Phair... I, um, had no idea she was so... hot (yeah, OK, so I really am a pig...):



Chrissie Hynde/Pretenders: the 80's weren't a complete waste of time. I almost rejected this vid for this particular post, but when Chrissie actually whips out the harp for the solo in "Middle of the Road," well shit... Classic line: "When you own a big chunk of the bloody third world / the babies just come with the scenery." Yeah.



One of my favorite bands is The Detroit Cobras. Sadly, I was unable to find a half-decent video for this post (I mean, a video of a rockin' tune.). Anybody out there got any links?

4 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for a Breeders reunion because if the Pixies can get back together for a tour, why not the Breeders?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody been in the Devil's Workshop, drinking beer and practicing political incorrectness?

    An educational post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sornie,
    The Breeders put out a new album in 2008. It's pretty good, too.

    Susan,
    I like to think of myself as being "post-" or "meta-" PC. If you (or anyone who knows me) understand that I don't *in fact* trample on the rights of women (or whatever--just ask my wife!), then I'M (we're) free to play with the old stereotypes. Or something like that...
    Saying, for example, that Liz Phair is "hot" is really just a simple statement of the facts, after all. Anyone who's sincerely offended must wish, therefore, that she be incredibly hideous, or something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, I was kind of just bothering you.

    ReplyDelete