Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Allman Brothers Band

I think I've probably mentioned here before how much I've always liked The Allman Brothers Band. I guess I don't just like them. The older I get, the more music I listen to... there really is no better American band...

A few weeks ago I was watching a movie on TV. I don't know the name of it (and I don't feel like looking it up). It had Bill Murray, Sharon Stone, Jeffrey Wright... It was a pretty good movie.... I think Jim Jarmusch directed...

Anyway, at one point in the movie the song "Dreams" by the Allman Brothers was playing and when I heard it I just thought, fuck, that's the best fucking tune I've ever heard. I mean, I'd heard it before, of course, but right then it just kinda grabbed me...

There is one activity I used to pursue in my younger days that, in my present context, would be almost almost suicidal for me to do (in the sense that I could quite literally lose everything that I love and cherish; you can put the pieces together). Listening to The Allman Brothers Band is the nearest I come to those younger, more reckless days.

I like new stuff, don't get me wrong. But for me The Allman Brothers are like, my jazz, my classical music. Check them out:



Yeah.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe my favorite song by the Bros.

    Interesting to hear different guitarists take it on. Thanks for the find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that bass line is positively hypnotic, isn't it? I just never want this song to end every time I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brendan,
    I've got a ton of live ABB stuff. They're (unfairly, I think) lumped in with the "jam bands" these days, but they rarely meander and they're sense of song structure is supreme among rock bands.
    And yeah, the bass line is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, they were a jam band, especially when Duane was still alive. The problem is, the term itself got a bad name from bands who thought "jamming" meant "okay, I'll do a really long solo, and then you do a really long solo, and then the bass player will do a really long solo, ..."

    What is this live ABB stuff that you have? Boots? Lucky you. I had a couple of tapes once upon a time, but they've long since vanished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brendan,
    I have a couple of boots (although I've never seen them live myself), but there is a massive amount of officially released stuff that's available--probably an album a year--and most of it is really quite good (they never perform anything exactly the same way).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know. I guess I've fallen behind. I do have three ABB records (!) featuring live recordings.

    ReplyDelete