Wednesday, February 20, 2008

New Song

I doubt if the day will ever come that I stop loving and listening to rock 'n' roll, but now that my year-long obsession with death metal seems to have come to an end, I find there's nothing out there that really lights a fire under my ass. So, while I'm lookin' for a new kinda kick, it's time once again to have a serious go at jazz (this is something I do every couple or few years). Don't get me wrong, I like jazz a lot. I've just never really been "infected" by it.

Anyway, this week I'll be listening to (what I believe are) some classic jazz albums that I'm somewhat familiar with (and that I like), just to get warmed up. For example,
  • Herbie Hancock, Empyrean Isles
  • John Coltrane, A Love Supreme
  • Art Blakey, A Night in Tunisia
  • Eric Dolphy, Out to Lunch
  • Ornette Coleman, The Shape of Jazz to Come
  • Dave Brubeck, Take Five
  • Charles Mingus, Mingus Ah Um

among others... If anyone has any suggestions for for further listening, they would be gratefully appreciated.

Here's a cool tune by NOMO. It's not really "pure" jazz, but it's pretty jazzy:

NOMO-New Song

9 comments:

  1. I am a classic jazz guy (in addition to many other flavors of music) but, really, Miles Davis' KIND OF BLUE should be on this list as well. A classic's classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAI,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I have a bunch of Miles Davis' albums, but for some reason forgot to mention him in my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend Duke Ellington: Indigos.

    Short samples here.

    Not only one of my favorite jazz albums, but one of my all-time favorites of any genre. A must-have on any "desert island" list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brendan,
    Thanks! I have Ellington at Newport (which is really good), so I'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. There aren't many non-great Ellington albums, to be sure. Compared to at Newport, Indigos is more suited for late-night listening, especially when the possibility of romance rears its head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brendan,
    Romance? I'm married, are you just taunting me?
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the music mentioned is great to be sure. Might I suggest some less well known artists:
    Marcus Belgrave(http://www.marcusbelgrave.net/)
    Geri Allen(http://www.geriallen.com/)
    James Carter (http://www.legacyrecordings.com/James-Carter.aspx)
    Just to mention a few.
    All the artists I mentioned are from Detroit. I had a chance to see all of them perform at one time or another when I was a student at the University of Windsor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Romance? I'm married, are you just taunting me?

    Try mixing a little red wine in with the Indigos, in that case. I'm tellin' you, it'll be like a first date.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Stout,
    Thanks for dropping by and commenting (here and elsewhere). And thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out!

    Brendan,
    Are you suggesting I get my wife drunk in order to "have my way" with her? I'm shocked at the depravity displayed by the young people today! (Er, got any tips for selecting a good wine...?)
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete