Friday, June 06, 2008

You all know...

...of course, that every piece of software, and their websites, are nothing but useless pieces of shit. I mean, what kind of combination of stupidity and sheer goddamn fucking laziness does it take to assume that every user in country "x" is both from country "x" and fluent in its language? And why do they all, without fucking exception, when they actually do give you the option to change languages on their help sites, why does every fucking one of them ask you in the language you don't know (e.g. to switch from Japanese to English at Microsoft, you actually have to know the kanji for English; I'm sorry, but that is just plain fucked; Microsoft is not the only one and is far from the worst--the Apple Quicktime player is perhaps the most vicious piece of software ever conceived, at least in my experience; I've banned it from any computer I own).

What brought this on tonight? I just went to YouTube and found myself at their Japanese site. What the fucking fuck is this, when you can't even use your bookmarks, or enter a url and be taken where you expect to fucking go?

Bleh...

7 comments:

  1. Bryan,
    Yes, I'm taking deep breaths...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember American policies: fuck the user as much as you can, until you get a law suit.

    Everybody is talking about Unix...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usual Stuff,
    I think "fuck the user" is just regular business philosophy. PC's running Unix, mmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard is safer and more user-friendly. Me, being an informatic caveman, couldn't tell for sure, but certainly you get less viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are taken to the Japanese Youtube because your browser has the "Language" options set to Japanese by default. You should change it to English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon.,
    Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm using a US English version of Firefox (if I were using IE I think your suggestion would work).
    I think, actually, that the problem I was having on that particular night was more related to "cookies" somehow having been cleared from my cache.

    ReplyDelete