Saturday, September 17, 2011

From the Department of Aptly Named Stuff

Recently my kid got fitted up with a set of some new-fangled braces. They cost about as much as a half-decent used car. They also, apparently, require about the same amount of maintenance and financial upkeep. I went with her to the dentist the day they were ready. I asked the dentist to give me the English phrase for this wondrous piece of dental technology, that I might research it and understand it...

It's called an "expansion screw."

On the plus-side, I remember getting fitted for something called a "spacer" many years ago. It involved a drunken dentist who had no concept of anesthesia and a couple of welders...


  1. Just lost my coffee. It's dripping down the wall across the room.

    Expansion screw. I will have to use that in a sentence soon, very soon.

  2. Glenn,
    To be honest, it was all I could do to keep myself from laughing out loud in the dentist's face!